Ian Weigh Mahindra (ABN 90 148 491 233) aims to provide its Guests with the best possible products and services. We also want our Guests to have confidence that we afford personal information an appropriate level of privacy, consistent with the National Privacy Principles set out in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act) and with the Spam Act 2003 (Cth).
What is Personal Information?
Personal information is information in any recorded form that identifies an individual or from which an individual’s identity can reasonably be ascertained. Examples include an individual’s name, address, contact number and email address.
Why does Ian Weigh Mahindra collect personal Information?
Ian Weigh Mahindra collects personal information for a range of purposes, including to:
- Respond to Guest queries about the products and services that we offer;
- Confirm that Guests are properly licensed for the purposes of taking a test drive or using one of our hire vehicles;
- Supply products and services (including new and used vehicles, parts, accessories and any applicable warranties);
- Process payment for products and services (including considering applications for credit where relevant);
- To coordinate delivery of your vehicle and ensure that your vehicle is delivered to your satisfaction;
- Consider, process and record the purchase of trade-in vehicles;
- Carry out vehicle repairs and servicing, supply parts and accessories, supply products such as lubricants and automotive fluids and maintain any applicable warranties;
- Arrange for products and services to be supplied to Guests by third parties (including Ian Weigh Mahindra sub-contractors) where appropriate (for example, extended warranty and roadside assistance services and financial and insurance products in respect of vehicles purchased from us; or fitment of non-genuine parts and accessories, panel beating services or windscreen replacement in respect of vehicles we are repairing) (these people may contact you directly for this purpose); and
- To conduct competitions.
Ian Weigh Mahindra also uses the personal information that it collects to:
- Maintain records for accounting and administration purposes;
- Administer warranty claims;
- Provide Guest support;
- Respond to Guest complaints;
- Administer safety-related product recalls;
- Analyse Guest needs and develop Guest strategies; and
- Meet legal and regulatory requirements.
Guest satisfaction surveys, service reminders and direct marketing
If you consent, Ian Weigh Mahindra may use your personal information to send you service reminders and information about our products and services, including special offers. We may also send our Guests information about products and services of businesses associated with Ian Weigh Mahindra. If you no longer wish to receive this information, please contact the Ian Weigh Mahindra Guest Experience Department.
What sort of personal information does Ian Weigh Mahindra collect?
The type of personal information that we collect will depend on the circumstances of collection. For example, we may collect your name, date of birth, address, telephone number, email address and vehicle purchase and service history. For vehicle purchases, we also collect information such as the vehicle make, model and colour, options and accessories supplied, price paid, trade-in details, vehicle identification number, registration details, driver’s licence number, odometer reading, finance and insurance details and details of any roadside assistance services or extended warranty purchased. We may also collect details of other interactions that you have with us, together with any other information that you choose to provide us with.
The collection of sensitive information (for example, racial origin, religious beliefs and health information) is restricted by the Privacy Act. Ian Weigh Mahindra will not collect sensitive information about you unless this is necessary for one of Ian Weigh Mahindra’s functions or activities and you have consented to that collection, or Ian Weigh Mahindra is otherwise required or authorised by or under law to do so.
How does Ian Weigh Mahindra collect personal information?
Much of the personal information that we hold is collected when you purchase a vehicle or parts and accessories from us, when you trade-in a vehicle or when you have your vehicle repaired or serviced by us. We may also collect personal information in a number of other ways, for example when you:
- Contact us with a query (whether in person, or by phone, fax, email, through the forms on the Ian Weigh Mahindra website or through carsales.com.au or drive.com.au);
- Take a vehicle for a test drive or use one of our hire vehicles;
- Enter a competition conducted by us; or
- Respond to one of our direct marketing campaigns
Website Collection of Information
Some of the information that is collected on our website is not personal information, because it does not reveal your identity. For example, we may record your server address, domain name, the date and time of your visit to this site and the pages that you viewed. This information is used by us in anonymous, aggregated form only, for statistical and web site development purposes.
However, Ian Weigh Mahindra reserves its right to use or disclose this information to try to locate an individual if it reasonably believes that the individual may have engaged in any unlawful or inappropriate activity in connection with this website.
A cookie is a small data file that a web site transfers to your internet browser for identification purposes. The cookies that we use do not identify you individually. Instead, they identify your internet browser.
Most internet browsers are set to accept cookies. If you prefer not to receive them, you can adjust your browser to reject cookies, or to notify you when they are being used. There are also software products available that can manage cookies for you. Rejecting cookies can however limit the functionality of this website.
Third Party Collection of Information
Sometimes, we may collect your personal information from third parties, for example where:
- You respond to a Guest Satisfaction Survey conducted by Mahindra Australia or a vehicle industry survey and the survey results are provided to Ian Weigh Mahindra;
- We collect information such as your warranty details and service history from Mahindra Australia or from another authorised Mahindra dealer, to facilitate the provision of services to you; or
- We have arranged for third parties to supply you with products and services and those third parties provide us with information about the products or services that you have purchased from them (please note that we do not collect your credit or financial details from finance or insurance suppliers)
What if you don’t provide your personal information to Ian Weigh Mahindra?
If Ian Weigh Mahindra is unable to collect personal information from or about you, it may prove difficult to do business with you or the organisation with which you are connected.
When does Ian Weigh Mahindra disclose personal information to third parties?
In providing our Guests with products or services, we may disclose personal information to third parties. In particular, your personal information may be disclosed to Mahindra Australia and their related bodies corporate. Information such as warranty details and service history may also be disclosed to other authorised Mahindra dealers, to help them better serve your needs.
Other third parties with whom we may share your personal information include, where appropriate:
- Finance, insurance, extended warranty and roadside assistance providers (where you have requested that they supply products and services to you);
- Providers (including Ian Weigh Mahindra sub-contractors) of outsourced vehicle repair and maintenance services (such as panel beaters and windscreen repairers) (these people may contact you directly for this purpose);
- Valuers (to assess the value of your vehicle) and vehicle registries (to check whether a trade in vehicle is encumbered);
- Government authorities (for example for vehicle registration and compulsory third party (bodily injury) insurance or as required under financial transactions reporting or anti-money laundering legislation) police, local council authorities or our insurers if a test drive or hire vehicle is involved in any parking or traffic infringements or is damaged whilst in your possession;
- Financial institutions for payment processing referees, referrals or guarantors whose details you have provided to us;
- Ian Weigh Mahindra’s contracted service providers (Contracted Service Providers), including, without limitation:
- Website designers and information technology service providers;
- Marketing and communications agencies;
- Call centres and call training centres;
- Mailing houses, freight and courier services;
- Printers and distributors of direct marketing material; and
- External business advisors (such as auditors, lawyers and debt collectors).
In the case of Contracted Service Providers, we may disclose personal information to the Contracted Service Provider and the Contracted Service Provider may in turn provide us with personal information collected from you in the course of providing the relevant products or services. We take steps to help ensure that our Contracted Service Providers comply with the National Privacy Principals when they collect and handle your personal information.
We may also disclose personal information to third parties where required or authorised by or under law to do so with your consent (which may be written, verbal or implied from your conduct).
We will not send you any commercial electronic messages such as SMS or email without your consent. Any commercial electronic message that we send will identify Ian Weigh Mahindra as the sender and will incorporate our contact details. The message will also provide an unsubscribe facility. If you do not wish to receive commercial electronic messages from us, please use the unsubscribe facility or contact the Ian Weigh Mahindra Guest Experience Department.
Ensuring personal information is up-to-date
We rely on the personal information we hold in conducting our business. We take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we hold is accurate complete and up-to-date.
Security of personal information
The security of information is important to Ian Weigh Mahindra and we take precautions to protect the personal information that we hold from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
Some of the ways we protect personal information include:
- External and internal premises security;
- Restricted access to personal information to staff who need it to perform their day to day functions;
- Conducting training to ensure that staff are aware that they must only access, use and disclose personal information for appropriate purposes;
- Requiring staff who have access to personal information to agree to protect the privacy of that information;
- Maintaining technology products to prevent unauthorised computer access, including identifiers and passwords; and
- Maintaining physical security over paper records
How long does Ian Weigh Mahindra keep personal information?
We will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify personal information that is no longer needed for any purpose that is permitted by the Privacy Act.
Use of Commonwealth government identifiers
We will not use Commonwealth government identifiers (Identifiers) (such as Medicare numbers) as our own identifier of individuals. We will only use or disclose Identifiers in the circumstances permitted by the Privacy Act.
Transfer of personal information overseas
If Ian Weigh Mahindra transfers your personal information outside Australia, we will comply with requirements of the Privacy Act that relate to transborder data flows. Please note that some of the servers on which Mahindra Australia’s Guest information is held are located overseas by a parent company. As a result, personal information collected and held by Mahindra Australia may be transferred overseas to be held on these servers.
Access to your personal information
Please contact the Ian Weigh Mahindra Guest Experience Department if you would like to access or correct the personal information that we hold about you. We will generally provide you with access to your personal information. Depending on the amount of information requested, Ian Weigh Mahindra may charge an access fee to cover the cost of retrieving the information and supplying it to you.
Access to personal information may be refused in a number of circumstances, such as where the information relates to anticipated legal proceedings or the request for access is frivolous or vexatious. If we deny or restrict your access, we will explain why. Similarly, in some limited circumstances we may not make requested corrections to personal information, in which case we will provide you with reasons for this decision.
Job applicants and employees
Any personal information provided to Ian Weigh Mahindra in connection with job applications may be used to consider the applicant for current and future employment and may be disclosed to our third party advisors to assist us in the selection and recruitment process.
If your application for employment is successful, Ian Weigh Mahindra will rely on the exemption in the Privacy Act relating to employee records where applicable.
If you have any concerns about the way your personal information is managed by Ian Weigh Mahindra, or believe that a breach of your privacy has occurred, please let us know by contacting the Ian Weigh Mahindra Guest Experience Department. We will respond to your concerns as soon as possible.
Contact details and additional information
If you would like more information about Ian Weigh Mahindra’s approach to privacy, or if you wish to contact us regarding the information set out in this policy, please contact us:
Ian Weigh Mahindra’s Guest Experience Department
127 Denison Street, Rockhampton Qld 4700
Ph: 1300 859 995
Fax: (07) 4924 5201
Changes to this policy
We may amend this policy from time to time at our discretion. Amended versions will be posted on our website at www.ianweighmahindra.com.au and will be available from Ian Weigh Mahindra’s Guest Experience Department.